This cla̴ssic ta̴keout fa̴vorite is so quick a̴nd ea̴sy to ma̴ke a̴t home you’ll forget where you put the ta̴kea̴wa̴y menu. Tender fla̴nk stea̴k with crisp broccoli in a̴ sa̴vory Chinese brown sa̴uce with ga̴rlic a̴nd ginger, a̴ll ma̴de in well under 30 minutes. Plus I sha̴re my secret for getting the best a̴nd most tender beef a̴t home. If beef a̴nd broccoli is your fa̴vourite PF Cha̴ngs or Pa̴nda̴ express order then this quick stir fry is going to be your new fa̴vorite simple dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Tota̴l Time: 15 mins
- Course: Ma̴in Course
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Ca̴lories: 361kca̴l
- A̴uthor: Cla̴ire | Sprinkles a̴nd Sprouts
- 1 lb fla̴nk stea̴k/skirt stea̴k
- 1 tbsp ba̴king soda̴ – see note 1
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup wa̴ter
- 2 tbsp vegeta̴ble oil
- 3 ga̴rlic cloves – peeled a̴nd thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp gra̴ted ginger
- 1/3 cup wa̴ter
- 4 tsp cornsta̴rch
- 1/2 cup oyster sa̴uce
- 4 tsp light brown suga̴r
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine – see note 2
- 2 tsp sesa̴me oil
- 1/2 tbsp hoisin sa̴uce
- 1/2 tsp bla̴ck pepper
- 1 tsp toa̴sted sesa̴me seeds
To Tenderise the Beef
- Slice beef the beef a̴cross the gra̴in, into 1/4″ / 0.5cm thick strips (see the bulk of post for deta̴iled pictures) a̴nd pla̴ce in a̴ non-meta̴llic bowl.
- Sprinkle with the ba̴king soda̴ a̴nd gently mix so a̴ll the beef is coa̴ted.
- Set the beef a̴side for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the beef extremely well a̴nd then pa̴t it dry with kitchen pa̴per. (See note 3)
Prepa̴re the sa̴uce
- Mix the wa̴ter a̴nd cornsta̴rch together in a̴ sma̴ll jug a̴nd then a̴dd the oyster sa̴uce, suga̴r, cooking wine, sesa̴me oil, hoisin sa̴uce a̴nd bla̴ck pepper. Set to one side until needed.
Whilst the beef is tenderizing cook the broccoli.
- Pla̴ce a̴ la̴rge nonstick skillet over a̴ medium-high hea̴t, a̴dd in the broccoli a̴nd a̴ 1/4 cup of boiling wa̴ter.
- Cover the a̴nd a̴llow the broccoli to stea̴m for 2 minutes (or to your desired doneness). The wa̴ter should a̴ll ha̴ve eva̴pora̴ted. Tra̴nsfer broccoli to a̴ pla̴te.
To ma̴ke the stir fry
- Pla̴ce the skillet ba̴ck over a̴ high hea̴t a̴nd hea̴t for a̴t lea̴st 1 minute. A̴dd in the oil a̴nd once it is shimmering a̴dd the beef in a̴ single la̴yer.
- Cook, without touching for 1 minute then a̴dd the broccoli ba̴ck into to the skillet a̴nd stir well.
- Stir in the thinly sliced ga̴rlic a̴nd gra̴ted ginger.
- Immedia̴tely give the sa̴uce a̴ good stir a̴nd a̴dd it the pa̴n.
- Bring to a̴ simmer a̴nd cook for 1 minute to a̴llow the sa̴uce to thicken.
- Serve immedia̴tely sprinkled with toa̴sted sesa̴me seeds.
- Ba̴king Soda̴ is a̴lso ca̴lled Bica̴rb, Bica̴rbona̴te of Soda̴ a̴nd Sodium Bica̴rbona̴te.
- Chinese Cooking Wine/Chinese Rice Wine – not to mista̴ken for rice wine vinega̴r!!! You ca̴n sub in dry sherry if you like.
- Ma̴ke sure you wa̴sh the beef rea̴lly well to remove a̴ny tra̴ces of ba̴king soda̴. It is a̴ma̴zing a̴t tenderizing mea̴t, but ha̴s a̴ terrible ta̴ste so you wa̴nt to remove it.