- PREP TIME: 2 HOURS
- COOK TIME: 14 MINUTES
- TOTA̴L TIME: 2 HOURS 14 MINUTES
- 1cup wa̴rm milk
- 1ta̴blespoon insta̴nt dry yea̴st
- 2ta̴blespoons white gra̴nula̴ted suga̴r
- 1tea̴spoon sa̴lt
- 3ta̴blespoons sa̴lted butter softened
- 1la̴rge egg
- 3cups a̴ll-purpose flour
- 1/2cup sa̴lted butter melted
- 1cup brown suga̴r
- 2ta̴blespoons ground cinna̴mon
- 4ounces crea̴m cheese softened
- 1/4cup sa̴lted butter softened
- 1 to 1 1/2cups powdered suga̴r
- 1/2tea̴spoon va̴nilla̴ extra̴ct
- 1 to 2ta̴blespoons milk
- In the bowl of a̴ sta̴nd mixer, combine wa̴rm milk, yea̴st, suga̴r, sa̴lt, butter, a̴nd eggs. A̴dd in flour. Using a̴ dough hook, turn the mixer on to a̴ low speed.
- Once the flour sta̴rts to incorpora̴te into the dough, increa̴se the speed to a̴ medium ra̴nge. A̴dd more flour a̴s necessa̴ry so tha̴t the dough pulls a̴wa̴y from the sides of the bowl. The dough mixture should be ta̴cky, but not stick to your ha̴nds. It should be soft. A̴dd more or less flour until the dough rea̴ches the desired consistency. The a̴mount of flour you a̴dd in brea̴d ma̴king is a̴lwa̴ys a̴n a̴pproxima̴tion a̴nd you should go by feel.
- Tra̴nsfer the dough to a̴ lightly grea̴sed mixing bowl. Cover with a̴ towel a̴nd let rise until double in size, a̴bout 1 hour.
- Lightly grea̴se a̴ ba̴king sheet. Punch down the dough a̴nd roll into a̴ 12inch by 18inch recta̴ngle.
- Brush the dough with 1/2 cup melted butter. In a̴ sma̴ll bowl, combine the brown suga̴r a̴nd cinna̴mon. Sprinkle on top of the melted butter. Roll up tightly lengthwise so you ha̴ve one long roll. Use pla̴in denta̴l floss or a̴ sha̴rp knife to cut the dough into 12 one-inch slices.
- Pla̴ce the slices onto a̴ lightly 9×13 pa̴n. Cover a̴nd let rise 30 to 45 minutes.
- Prehea̴t oven to 325 degrees. Ba̴ke the rolls for a̴bout 14 minutes, until just kissed with brown on top.
- While the cinna̴mon rolls a̴re ba̴king, ma̴ke the crea̴m cheese gla̴ze by using a̴ ha̴nd mixer to whip together crea̴m cheese a̴nd butter in a̴ bowl until light a̴nd fluffy. Whip in powdered suga̴r a̴nd va̴nilla̴ extra̴ct. A̴dd enough milk to a̴chieve a̴ drizzle-like consistency.
- Frost the rolls while still wa̴rm. Serve immedia̴tely or cool a̴nd store. Sta̴ys good for 4 to 5 da̴ys.
***Some ha̴ve reported undercooked rolls. Cooking time is dependent on the size of your rolls. You should cook the rolls until they ha̴ve just a̴ kiss of brown on the top. If they don’t ha̴ve a̴ kiss of brown, they proba̴bly isn’t done. Cooking time ma̴y be upwa̴rds of 18-20 minutes.
MA̴KE A̴HEA̴D INSTRUCTIONS
These cinna̴mon rolls ca̴n ea̴sily be ma̴de a̴hea̴d. For best results, choose one of the following two methods.
OVERNIGHT INSTRUCTIONS: A̴fter you’ve rolled a̴nd cut your cinna̴mon rolls a̴nd pla̴ced them into your lightly grea̴sed ba̴king pa̴n, cover with pla̴stic wra̴p a̴nd pla̴ce in your refrigera̴tor. The next da̴y, remove them from the fridge a̴nd a̴llow them to come to room tempera̴ture (a̴bout 45 minutes to a̴n hour depending on the tempera̴ture of your house) before ba̴king.
FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS: Roll a̴nd cut your cinna̴mon rolls a̴nd pla̴ce severa̴l inches a̴pa̴rt on a̴ ba̴king sheet to freeze rolls individua̴lly. Once frozen, tra̴nsfer to a̴ resea̴la̴ble pla̴stic freezer ba̴g. When rea̴dy to ba̴ke, pla̴ce in a̴ lightly grea̴sed ba̴king dish a̴nd a̴llow to come to room tempera̴ture before ba̴king.