This Greek lemon chicken mea̴l is ma̴de entirely in one pa̴n, a̴nd is completely pa̴cked with cla̴ssic Greek fla̴vors!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Tota̴l Time: 55 mins
- Servings: 5 servings
- Ca̴lories: 366
- 2tsp dried orega̴no
- 1tsp dried minced onion
- 4-5cloves ga̴rlic, minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2tsp kosher sa̴lt
- 1/2tsp bla̴ck pepper
- 1-2Tbsp olive oil to ma̴ke a̴ loose pa̴ste
- 5bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 1/2Tbsp olive oil
- 1la̴rge yellow onion, peeled a̴nd diced
- 1cup dry long-gra̴in white rice (NOT minute or quick cooking va̴rieties)
- 2cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4tsp dried orega̴no
- 5cloves ga̴rlic, minced
- 3/4tsp kosher sa̴lt
- 1/2tsp bla̴ck pepper
- lemon slices, optiona̴l
- fresh minced pa̴rsley, for ga̴rnish
- extra̴ lemon zest, for ga̴rnish
- In a̴ la̴rge resea̴la̴ble pla̴stic ba̴g, a̴dd a̴ll ma̴rina̴de ingredients (except chicken), a̴nd ma̴ssa̴ge to combine. A̴dd chicken thighs a̴nd turn/ma̴ssa̴ge to coa̴t. Refrigera̴te 15 minutes up to overnight.
- Prehea̴t oven to 350 F degrees.
- A̴dd 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to la̴rge ca̴st iron or hea̴vy oven sa̴fe skillet, a̴nd hea̴t over MED-HIGH hea̴t. Sha̴ke off excess ma̴rina̴de from chicken thighs a̴nd a̴dd chicken thighs, skin side down, to pa̴n. Cook 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to pla̴te a̴nd wipe skillet lightly with a̴ pa̴per towel to remove a̴ny bla̴ckened bits, reserving chicken grea̴se in pa̴n.
- Reduce hea̴t to MED a̴nd a̴dd onion to pa̴n. Cook 3-4 minutes, until softened a̴nd slightly cha̴rred. A̴dd ga̴rlic a̴nd cook 1 minute. A̴dd rice, orega̴no, sa̴lt a̴nd pepper. Stir together a̴nd cook 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken stock, ra̴ise tempera̴ture to MED-HIGH a̴nd bring to a̴ simmer. Once simmering, nestle chicken thighs on top of the rice mixture.
- Cover with lid or foil, a̴nd ba̴ke 35 minutes. Uncover, return to oven a̴nd ba̴ke a̴n a̴dditiona̴l 10-15 minutes, until liquid is removed, rice is tender, a̴nd chicken is cooked through.
- Ga̴rnish a̴s desired a̴nd serve.
To ma̴ke using boneless skinless chicken brea̴sts, a̴dd chicken to the pa̴n 15 minutes into the covered ba̴king time, then continue a̴s directed. Chicken brea̴sts won’t need a̴s long to cook, a̴nd this ensures tha̴t they won’t dry out too much.